Eggless Whole Wheat Pancakes are easy to make and even more delicious to taste! Fluffy and soft, these pancakes can be eaten plain or topped with juicy fruits, honey or maple syrup.
Traditionally made with eggs, milk, sugar and flour, here’s the healthier and vegetarian-friendly version of this popular international breakfast dish. Very similar in appearance to our South Indian ‘set dosa’ this wholesome, and nutritious dish with divine sweetness in every bite is surely going to leave you happy and sated.
Whole wheat – rich fiber, protein, and great source of carbohydrates, milk – one of the best calcium sources & jaggery which contains essential antioxidants & minerals that boost immunity, are combined together with a few other ingredients to get a rich, creamy batter which is then cooked on a hot tawa. The results – sizzling & yummy pancakes!
Serves – 4
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour/atta,
1 cup milk,
½ cup jaggery,
3 tbsp unsalted butter or light olive oil or canola oil,
¼ tsp salt,
1 tbsp vanilla essence,
1 tsp baking powder,
- Gently heat the milk, don’t bring to a boil.
- When the milk is warm, add the butter to it and stir well. Allow the butter melt completely. Set aside.
- Next, mix all the dry ingredients – jaggery, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in the lukewarm milk and butter mixture, stir well to avoids lumps.
- Depending on the quality of the whole wheat, you might need to add more milk.
- Keep adding additional milk slowly while mixing the batter continuously.
- Mix until you get a thick batter with dropping consistently (like dosa batter).
- Heat a regular tawa and grease it with some butter.
- Keeping the flame low, pour a ladle of the batter.
- Cook on both sides evenly, when done transfer to a plate.
- Drizzle honey or maple syrup on top of the pancakes.
- Serve warm with a topping of fresh fruits or dry fruits of your choice.
- If you don’t have unsalted butter, you can use salted butter instead but avoid putting the additional spoon of salt.
- You can replace regular mix with almond or soy milk.
- For maximum health benefit use organic jaggery & honey.
- Pancakes are best relished when still warm.
- Freshly cut strawberries, apples, and bananas are the ideal fruit toppings for pancakes.