Green Moong Salad is one such dish that I relish. Made by combining pre-soaked green moong, pomegranate, and cucumber, this salad is not only healthy but also visual delight due to its colourful appearance. The earthy flavour of the green moong, crunchiness of the cucumber and the sweet-tangy taste of the pomegranate is sure to be a treat for your taste buds!
An excellent source of protein, green moong has a myriad of health benefits. Containing vitamins that have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties, this legume helps the body build up resistance to fight against diseases. This low-fat legume, which rich in folate and high in protein and fiber keeps you feeling full for longer periods of time, thus helps curb your tendency of ‘snacking’ between meals and binge eating. It is also diabetic-friendly as it contains complex carbohydrates that enable the slow release of sugar into the bloodstream thus helping keep blood sugar levels low.
The nutrient-dense pomegranate is high in antioxidants which helps lower high blood pressure, aids in thinning of the blood thus preventing blockages and contributing to good heart health. One of the most water-rich vegetables, cucumbers are low in calories, keeps your body hydrated thus enabling you to meet your daily fluid needs.
To make this salad all you have to do is remember to soak the green moong overnight and it’s ready to put together the next day.
Serves – 4
3/4th cup green moong, soaked overnight,
1/4th cup pomegranates,
1 cucumber, finely chopped,
1 green chilli, finely chopped,
Juice of ½ lemon,
Salt as per taste,
Fresh coriander for garnish
1 tsp oil,
1 tsp mustard seeds,
5-6 curry leaves,
½ onion, finely chopped,
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, when it crackles, add curry leaves and onions.
- Sauté a bit and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients together along with the tempering.
- Add lime and salt and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve chilled.
- You can make this dish even without tempering, just by adding all the ingredients together.
- You can use the onions raw in the salad instead of sautéing it.
- If you are serving this salad later, don’t add salt and lime. Just assemble the ingredients in a bowl, cover it with cling film and keep it in the fridge. When ready to serve, add the salt and lime juice.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram
with the hashtag #thefitdotme