Sambar is a staple in South India. It’s a tamarind based gravy with spices and cooked with tuar dal. Based on the preparation of spices, vegetable used, we can make many different varieties of sambar.
This Vengaya sambar is different from other sambar varieties as it has a distinct flavor coming from the pearl onions and no other veggies are added to this sambar. Also, fresh homemade sambar masala made by roasting and grinding the spices adds to the taste of this sambar. This vengaya sambar is mildly tangy and spicy in taste.
Different Types Of Sambar
There are numerous variety of sambars available in India.
- Arachuvitta Sambar – Here the sambar is made using freshly made ground masala. This is considered as one of the authentic way to cook sambar.
- Sambar using Sambar Powder – This is a quick way to make Sambar using readily available sambar powder. This saves time and effort to make the sambar.
- Hotel Sambar – Restaurants always use some secret ingredients and ways of cooking to make it unique and special.
- Tiffin Sambar – This sambar is made exclusively for serving it with Idli / Dosa. Here Moong Dal is used instead of Tuar Dal.
- Udupi Sambar – There are slight variations in making Sambar in Udupi area.