Panchmel Dal or Pancharatan Dal is a Rajasthani style dal made my mixing 5 different types of lentils. This dal is served with Bati or roti.
The mix of five different types of lentils, which generally are hari moong dal, dhuli moong dal, chana dal, kali urad dal and masoor dal gives a very different flavor to the Dal.
Along with the five types of lentils, the tadka of ghee, onions, garlic, ginger, dry red chillies, green chillies makes Panchmel Dal more inviting!
You can definitely change the types of dal used here but this combination is how it’s made in my family.
Take any 5 varieties of dal you have
I have taken:
1/4th cup tuar dal
1/4th cup masoor dal
1/4th cup chana dal
1/4th cup kali urad dal
1/4th cup moong dal
2-3 tbsp ghee
1 cup finely chopped onion
2-3 green chillies
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
1-2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
2 green cardamom
Fresh coriander for garnish
- Add the dals in a pressure cooker
- Wash the dals and add enough water to cook them
- Add 1 tsp turmeric pdr and a little salt and cook thoroughly – about 3 whistles
- Allow it to cool completely before opening the cooker
- In the mean time keep the rest of the ingredients ready for the tadka
- Heat the ghee in a kadhai
- Add 1 tsp cumin seeds, 2 red chillies and 1/2 tsp hing
- Add the onions along with the rest of the ingredients and sauté until golden brown
- Pour this tempering on the cooked dal and mix well
- Serve this dal with steamed rice, phulkas or baati
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thefitdotme