My recipe, however, is a no fuss, simple and easy eggless version. It looks great, has a nice soft and smooth texture, it’s light on the tummy and the ingredients are easily available. Plus it can be made very quickly!
To get a perfectly smooth texture, whip the cream just until soft peaks form (kind of like shaving cream). Don’t wait until it’s stiff. Once folded into the chocolate mixture, the mousse should be soft, silky, smooth, and utterly delightful!
250 gms dark cooking chocolate, chopped,
125 ml low fat cooking cream, ( I have used Amul Fresh Cream)
1/4 cup of full or medium fat whipping cream, (room temperature),
2 tbsp powdered sugar,
2 tsp dark rum, (optional, I have used)
Chocolate shavings, cocoa powder or pistachios for garnishing,
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, pour the cooking cream and allow it to heat gently. Add the chopped chocolates and mix well. Make sure there are no lumps formed. Allow it to cool at room temperature. This is chocolate ganache.
- In another vessel, add the whipping cream which is at room temperature, and powdered sugar, and whip until you get stiff peaks.
- In a third vessel, take 2 tbsps of whipped cream and 2 tbsp of ganache and fold them together slowly with a balloon whisk. Continue this until you have incorporated 3/4th of the chocolate and all of the cream. Reserve the 1/4th ganache for later.
- Add the rum, if using, at this stage and mix well.
- Pour this mousse mix into small serving bowls, tea cups, shot glasses, or wine glasses. Even out the top and allow it to set in the refrigerator for 30 mins.
- Heat the remaining ganache in the microwave or double boiler and bring it to a pouring consistency.
- Now pour spoonfuls of this ganache on top of the chilled mousse and allow it to set for another 30 mins.
- Garnish and serve chilled.
Notes & Tips:
- Whipping the cream is critical part of this recipe, preferably use hand blender. If you do not have a hand blender, a whisk would also work.
- Use plain chocolate without any dry fruits in it.
- Make sure that both the melted chocolate and whipped cream are at room temperature when you are mixing them together.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the melted chocolate or else it may loose its fluffiness.
This is one dessert you’d think you can never make at home. Well, here is the guaranteed way to making this perfect dessert. Make them in individual portions to serve in style.