Soups are perfect for lunch with some bread on the side, or can be served for dinner with a sandwich.
Broccoli is a low-calorie source of fiber and it’s also rich in many essential vitamins and minerals.
A cup of cooked broccoli has just as much vitamin C as an orange, and it’s also a good source of B vitamins beta-carotene, iron, magnesium, potassium, and zinc. I prefer making broccoli soup by cooking the broccoli until soft then blitzing it up to make a naturally thick and creamy soup. This way you actually get lovely broccoli flavour in the soup, rather than a generic creamy broth with bits of broccoli in it. Bonus is that it’s healthier!
Most soups call for adding cream or flour to increase the density and improve the flavour as well. But I avoid cream and flour because it makes them high in fat and calories. To give the soup its density and some extra flavour, I have used mushrooms. The results are rich, creamy and delicious, and so easy to make from scratch. However, if you want to avoid mushrooms, you could easily replace it with 1/4th to 1/2 cup or medium fat cream and this recipe would become “Cream Of Broccoli Soup”. For a vegan version, stir in 1/2 cup of coconut milk and that would be delicious too!!!
Serves – 4
2 cups Broccoli
1 cup Mushrooms
1 medium size onion (chopped)
7-8 garlic pods
6-7 black peppercorns
1-2 tsp olive oil
Garlic chili oil and roasted flaxseed (for garnish)
1. Take chopped broccoli, onions, and mushroom, and rest all other ingredients in the
pan and sautée it in olive oil until caramelized.
2. Add 2-3 cups of water and bring it to a boil and cook them properly.
3. Turn off the gas and cool it down completely. Then strain the water and set aside.
4. Add all the ingredients in the mixer jar and puree it.
5. Pour the puree in a pan.
6. Add the strained water according to the required thickness. Add salt and black pepper as per the taste and bring this to a boil.
7. Turn off the heat and set aside.
8. Serve it in a bowl
9. Garnish it with some roasted flaxseeds and add garlic chili oil as per taste.
This is an instant pack of healthy soup. As broccoli helps you to eat less while feeling fuller, you can have this by skipping one meal of the day. So – if I haven’t convinced you already, one more reason to make this Broccoli Soup is that it freezes 100% perfectly and lasts for days and days in the fridge. It’s creamy and comforting, filling and yet HEALTHY and full of nutrition!!!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thefitdotme