This is a humble pea soup. The main flavoring comes from the roasted garlic. Roasting the garlic takes the edge off it and gives it a sweetness which makes a great and subtle base for the rest.
1 whole garlic,
2 tsps olive oil,
200 gms frozen peas,
2 tbsps freshly grated parmesan (optional)
200 ml warm stock,
150 ml cream (I have used Amul low fat cream)
Salt and pepper as per taste,
- Slice off the top of the garlic so that you can see the tops of the cloves revealed in a cross section. Remove the cloves and spread it out in a baking tray. Add a little bit of salt and a little olive oil and grill for about 20 mins. This makes all the difference to the soup.
- Cook the peas in boiling salted water. Drain and blend.
- Squeeze in the soft cooked cloves of garlic. Add the butter, parmesan and half of the stock. Process to a creamy puree.
- Pour into a saucepan and add the remaining stock. Add cream or extra stock to taste.
- Heat gently, season with salt and pepper and serve.
- Serve hot immediately.