Ammini Kozhukattai is an easy to do snack. The key ingredient is leftover Kozhukattai dough (Outercover of modak). This Kozhukattai is so simple and easy to make. First, we need to make tiny balls out of the leftover dough and we need to steam cook those tiny balls, and then we need to prepare a yummy tempering and toss the cooked Kozhukattai and its all ready!
We can toss it up with spices, coconut and other ingredients to make it as per your liking. Very good for breakfast or evening tiffin and can be served with Coconut Chutney. We can bring in lots of variations in the tempering and make this kozhukattai really appetizing and appealing.
Serves – 4
1 cup rice, washed, and soaked for 4-6 hours,
2 cups water,
1 tbsp sesame oil/ghee,
A pinch of salt
2 tsp oil,
1 tsp urad dal,
1 tsp mustard oil,
2 whole red chillies,
7-8 curry leaves,
- Follow the method of making the dough as mentioned in Traditional Modak Recipe
- Next, make small balls with the entire dough.
- Heat the idli steamer and carefully place them.
- Steam it for 5-7 mins. Do not oversteam, else the kozhukattai’s will become hard. Remove and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the urad dal, mustard seeds, red chillies and curry leaves and let it crackle. Add the kozhukattai’s and toss well.
- Serve hot.
- Keep the size of the balls small and even. This will help in even cooking.
- Make sure to steam it for the exact timing else the kozhukattais will become hard.
- You can use Idli Dosa Podi to toss the kozhukattais to give it a spicy twist.