If you love North Indian recipes, there is one dish you will see everywhere on the menu. Ask any Punjabi about their comfort food, Rajma chawal recipe will be the winner with a clear majority. Bean and rice recipes are a staple in many cuisines. Rajma curry is a dish which is a true delight for most North Indians. This curry and rice is an amazing combination!
Rajma in English is red kidney beans. Boiled kidney beans are cooked into a thick creamy curry recipe and served over steamed rice. Add a dollop of ghee on top of steaming plate of rajma chawal, it is heaven on your plate. Believe me! it is totally worth the calories.
This is recipe is with ginger garlic but you can skip that according to your preference. You can also make Rajma Masala recipe in Instant Pot pressure cooker.
- If you soak kidney beans for few hours Cooking them is easier and takes a lot less time.
- Always discard the water in which Rajma is soaked it will reduce the gaseous nature of the dish.
- Do not overcook while boiling, it will result in mushy texture.
- Basmati Rice tastes best with Rajma recipe, I always serve them with long grain Basmati rice.
- You can add a small pinch asafoetida /hing to get rid of gaseous nature as well.
1 1/2 cups red kidney beans or rajma, soaked overnight,
2 bay leaves ,
2 medium onions, grated,
1 tsp ginger garlic paste,
2 medium tomatoes, pureed,
1 tbsp coriander powder,
1 tsp cumin powder,
2 tsp red chilli powder,
1 tsp turmeric powder,
1 tsp garam masala powder,
Salt as per taste,
3 tbsp oil,
- Pressure cook rajma with five cups of water and salt till totally cooked and soft.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaves and onion and fry.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and continue to sauté till the mixture turns golden.
- Add tomato puree, mix and continue to cook. Add coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and cook till the oil leaves the masala.
- Add rajma along with the cooking liquid and mix. Adjust salt and add garam masala powder.
- Lower the heat and simmer for about 10 – 15 mins on low heat.
- Garnish with green coriander and serve hot.
Rajma masala goes best with steaming hot basmati rice. You could serve it with hot parathas or puri’s. Serve this with jeera rice too. It tastes delicious either ways.