Is Daliya Good For Health?
- Has a low Glycemic Index – great for people with diabetes or for anyone trying to consume lesser carbohydrate
- Higher protein content – This also means this takes longer to break down and release glucose, thereby preventing insulin spikes in one’s system
- High in fiber, therefore, one stays fuller for a more extended period.
- Perfect weight-loss food because of the above reasons
- Helps digestion and prevents constipation
Tips To Make Perfectly Fluffy Daliya Upma:
- Use pre-roasted daliya for this upma recipe or dry roast the broken wheat before using it (similar to roasting sooji rava before using).
- When made in a pressure cooker, keep the broken wheat and water ration as 1:1.5 to get the perfect consistency of upma – every single time! If you are using 1 cup of broken wheat, add approximately 1.5 cups of water.
- One or two whistles over medium heat are sufficient enough to cook the vegetables and the broken wheat.
- Allow the steam to release naturally from the pressure cooker. Once you open the lid, gently fluff the upma using a fork and allow it to rest for 3 – 5 minutes before serving.
- If making in a kadhai, just add 1.5 cups of water initially and add the remaining, if required, after a few minutes.
- Add a dash of lemon juice or a teaspoon of ghee before serving the dish for a delicious flavor.
1 cup broken wheat / cracked wheat / daliya,
1 cup choice of mixed vegetables, (carrots, beans, fresh peas),
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped,
1/2 tsp mustard seeds,
3 green chillies,
1 sprig curry leaves,
2 tbsp ghee,
2 tbsp of roasted cashews (optional),
Salt to taste
- Heat ghee in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- Once it crackles, add the slit green chillies and curry leaves and fry for a minute. Now add the chopped onions and fry till the onions are translucent.
- Add the choice of vegetables and saute for 1-2 mins on high flame.
- Reduce the flame and add the broken wheat and saute for a minute.
- Add 2 cups of boiled water to this. Add the salt as per taste and give it a good stir. Close the lid and allow it to cook completely.
- Serve hot with chutney or fresh yogurt.