What Mangoes to pick to make Mango Jam?
Pick Mangoes that are…
- undamaged ripe but not hard raw
- not overripe
- with the least of string
- rather sweet and flavorful
If you have a mango variety with strings, you can pass the pulp through a sieve and that will eliminate some of the strings. However, personally I dont like the strings coming into my mouth while enjoying a perfect sandwich. So I avoid it totally.
750 gms pulp of mango, I have used Alphonso,
250 gms sugar, add more if required,
Juice of 1 big lime
Note: If you don’t have a weighing scale, measure using a big bowl. The ratio of sugar and mangoes is 1: 3 i.e. one part sugar with 3 parts mango pulp.
1. Remove the skin of all mangoes and take out the pulp.
2. Chop some mangoes into cubes, using a masher, mash some mangoes into a semi solid pulp and puree some mangoes into a smooth pulp in a blender.
3. Having 3 different consistencies of mango pulp will give a good texture to the overall jam. If you want, you can totally avoid the hassle and directly puree all of the pulp.
4. Add the measured mangoes and sugar into a heavy bottom pan.
5. On a low heat cook this mixture. This will take about 30 to 40 mins. Keep stirring often.
6. As it gets cooked, you will see that it will gradually change color and thicken.
7. At this stage, take a spoonful of jam and place it on a plate. Tilt the plate. If the jam is stuck to the plate and doesnt move, the jam is ready.
8. Turn off the heat and add the lime juice.
9. Mix well and store it in sterilized glass bottles
10. Allow to cool completely before sealing the lid.
1. The mango jam setting temperature is 105 Celsius/220 Fahrenheit.
2. Sometimes the mango jam can be a bit runny in consistency because mangoes are low in pectin and if you don’t add lime juice, the consistency will be runny.
3. Don’t reduce the sugar further than whats mentioned in this recipe. Sugar acts as a preservative in the jam.
4. If you have overcooked the jam, the consistency might go hard, as in, it will be hard to spread on the bread. A quick fix to a hard jam is to take it back to the pan, heat it up again add little water and just cook it slowly until dissolved and hot.