For the pastry:
375 gms plain flour, plus extra for dusting,
15 gms sugar,
225gms unsalted butter, cut into cubes, plus extra for greasing,
4 tbsp ice-cold water,
For the filling:
1 medium sized tomato, thinly sliced,
1/4 cup fresh corn kernels,
1/4 cup cheese, grated, (I have used cheddar),
1/4 cup onion, thinly sliced, slightly sauted until translucent,
1/2 tsp rosemary, finely chopped,
1/2 tsp thyme, finely chopped,
1/4 cup milk,
Salt as per taste,
Pepper as per taste,
For the pastry:
- Sieve the flour and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Tip the cubed butter into the bowl. Rub the butter and the flour between your thumb and fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg together with four tablespoons of ice-cold water. Pour into the flour mixture.
- Slowly bring the ingredients together with your hands to form a dough, being careful not to overwork it.
- Knead the dough lightly on a clean, floured work surface, then wrap it in cling film and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven for 10 mins.
- In a bowl, mix corn, cheese, onion, and all the herbs. Add salt and pepper as per taste.
- Add eggs and milk and adjust seasoning once again.
- In the lined pie tin, arrange the tomatoes.
- Pour the mixture on top of this. Fill it to the brim of the pie tin and even it out.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 40-45 mins at 180 degrees.
- Allow it to cool. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
So just 2 days to go for the big event and I am a little jittery right now. I am so looking forward to this event now though!!!