Tips For Making Adai
- Making adai is very easy. Rice and lentils are soaked and then ground to a slightly coarse batter. Also unlike making dosa you don’t need to ferment the batter. However, allow the batter to rest for about 1 to 2 hours as this helps in giving the adai a better taste and texture.
- If you ferment the batter like dosa, then what you get is adai dosa, which also tastes delicious. If you want to make adai dosa, then ferment the batter for 4 to 7 hours and then make healthy adai dosa.
- For soaking lentils you can soak them for 2 to 3 hours or even overnight.
- Herbs and spices can be added less or more as per your requirements.
- For the rice you can use either regular variety of rice or parboiled rice.
2 cups rice,
1 cup urad dal,
½ cup tuar dal,
¼ cup chana dal,
1 inch size whole asafoetida,
3-4 whole red chillies,
5-6 curry leaves,
Salt as per taste
1.) Soak the rice and lentils for approximately 7-8 hrs.
2.) In a separate bowl soak the asafoetida and red chillies in half a cup of water.
3.) Grind all the ingredients in a grinder to form a paste. It should be mildly granular in consistency. Add salt to taste.
4.) Chop curry leaves, and add to the paste.
5.) In a non stick tawa, put a ladle full of batter and spread it like pancake.
6.) Serve it hot with jaggery, homemade butter, and spiced tomato chutney.
Do check out some other breakfast recipes here.