Usually made during festivals, this dish is easy to learn and make even for a beginner. Especially when you don’t have time to make an elaborate dessert, rava kesari can be quickly made and its melt in your mouth taste is sure to tantalize your taste buds and leave you craving for more!
Rava which is made from roughly ground whole wheat is a great source of carbohydrates thus acting as an energy booster. Containing a fairly high amount of magnesium and phosphorus, it also aids in the healthy working of our nervous system. The inclusion of ghee which is high in good fats such as omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamins, adds to the health quotient of this dish. Cashews too contain good fats and its nutty flavor enhances the taste of rava kesari. Sugar, another great energy booster is best consumed in moderation. However, rava kesari is best relished when made with sugar.
1 cup rava,
1 cup ghee,
1 cup sugar,
2 cups boiling water,
10 -12 cashews,
3-4 crushed cardamom,
- Add ghee in the kadhai. Once slighltly heated up, add the cashews and sauté until it turns light golden color.
- Add the rava and mix well.
- Keep roasting in low flame until you get a nice deep golden color.
- Next add in the sugar and cardamom. Keep sautéing continuously.
- In another vessel, add double the quantity of water i.e. 1 portion rava = 2 portions water and bring it to a boil. Set aside.
- Now, very slowly and gently add the boiling water into the rava. Be careful because there will be hot steam rising up.
- As you add the water, continuously stir the rava to avoid any lumps from forming.
- Once all the boiling water is incorporated, cover with a lid and allow it to cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Garnish with some more fried cashews and serve hot.
- You can also add raisins along with cashews when making this dish.
- If you want to avoid sugar, a healthy substitute is organic jaggery, though the color and texture of the rava kesari may vary.
- The trick to getting a nice rava kesari is in the sautéing process, so be patient when sautéing the rava. Keep the flame in the lowest setting and continuously sauté without letting it get burnt.
- Rava kesari can also be refrigerated and enjoyed chilled!