Carrots are rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Peas are rich in protein, folate, and high in antioxidants. Bell peppers are low in calories, high in potassium, vitamin A and C. The health benefits of the vermicelli combined with the vegetables make this an appetizing, delicious dish which can also be had as an evening snack.
Serves – 3
1 cup roasted vermicelli,
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped,
1/4th cup carrot, finely chopped,
1/4th cups green peas,
1/4th cup bell peppers, finely chopped, (optional)
1-2 green chillies, slit length wise,
½ tsp turmeric powder
Juice of ½ a lime,
Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
1 tsp mustard,
1 tsp channa dal,
2 tbsp oil
- Put the roasted vermicelli in hot boiling water and cook it for 2-3 minutes until it becomes soft. Strain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a kadhai or wok. Add mustard seeds, add the chana dal, green chilli, and curry leaves.
- Add onion and sauté till they turn translucent.
- Add the green peas, carrots, and bell peppers and saute.
- Add in the turmeric and salt as per taste. Mix well, cover with a lid until cooked.
- Next add the vermicelli, lime juice, check for salt, and adjust according to taste.
- Mix well, cover with a lid for 5-7 minutes
- Once done, garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.
- To save time, you can buy and use roasted vermicelli, which is easily available in supermarkets or shops.
- In case using plain vermicelli, remember to roast it lightly, on a low flame in a tsp of ghee for 5 minutes. This will remove the raw flavor of the vermicelli and roasting it will also give out a wonderful aroma!