My original recipe for Biryani which I ususally make at home, is very differnt than this recipe I am sharing. I use the layering technique. I am making this recipe for the first time, and as the name suggests, you cook the chicken along with the rice.
If you do a couple of things ahead of time, trust me you can dish out this biryani in less than an hour.
I will share this recipe in a step by step format, so that you could do it in a way that will save a lot of your time.
For the Chicken Marination:
4 medium sized onions, cut into thin slices,
1 kg chicken, biryani cut, washed, cleaned and drained,
1 cup thick yougurt,
1 tsp turmeric powder,
2 tsp ginger garlic paste,
1/2 cup browned onions,
1-1/2 tsp garam masala powder,
2 tsp red chilli powder,
1/4 cup oil,
Salt as required
Deep fry the onions in hot oil. Drain on kitchen paper. Store the unused onions in an air tight container. Mix all the ingredients required for the marination together. Cover with a cling film and leave it in the refrigerator.
Note: If possible, try to marinate the chicken a day in advance, otherwise marinate it for a minimum of 4 hours.
For the Rice:
1/2 kg good quality Basmati rice,
1 inch stick of cinnamon,
1 tsp pepper corns,
3-4 green cardamom,
2 tsp salt
Bring 2 liters of water to a boil. Add all the whole spices and salt. Add the rice and once half done, remove and drain the water immediately. Spread the cooked rice evenly in a big plate and allow it to cool completely. Its important to make sure that the rice is only half done. Remember, the rice is going to get cooked further.
For Final Assembling:
1/4 cup oil, or ghee,
1/2 cup chopped mint,
3-4 green chillies, slit length wise,
2 tbsp, cashews, fried,
1 cup cold milk,
A few strands of saffron or saffron colour,
Salt to sprinkle in between.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan, non-stick or aluminium, and put the marinated chicken at the base. Arrange the pieces evenly and spread the marinade evenly.
- Now spread half of the chopped mint on top of this. Add the slit green chillies.
- Put all of the half cooked rice on top of this and spread evenly. Sprinkle a little salt in between while putting the rice. Gently press it.
- Add the oil or ghee evenly.
- Now add a cup of milk along with the saffron evenly.
- Top it up with some more browned onions, fried cashews and mint.
- Cover with a tight lid. I made this in a big pressure cooker, so I put the lid of the cooker and locked it without the weight.
- Put this now on an iron tawa (iron girdle) and keep it in high flame for 10 mins.
- Then simmer the flame and allow it slow cook for 40 mins.
- Serve hot with curd raitha.
If you see the colours in the picture, it looks beautiful. It tasted good as well. The chicken was just falling off the bone. The salt was a little less while I prepared it. So I had to adjust that on the plate. However, I have made that change in the recipe above.
You can make the same recipe with mutton also, just allow the marination time of 4-6 hours.
Try it, you will love it. I can guarantee you that 🙂